Friday, March 4, 2016

WTF, America!?

Some things we ought to have (or have as accessible) in America, but don't.  WTF, America!?  I know that life is frequently a trade-off.  Sometimes your packages arrive, and sometimes not-so-much... (to be addressed in a later post, it's just too soon).  Sometimes you find an artisanal gelato place; sometimes you just step in dog shit!  

Today I got lucky!  
me holding banana and strawberry gelato outside Pianeta Gelato in Torino, Italy
After a scrumptious lunch of mackerel, artichokes and potatoes with some good friends (grazie, Mauro e Stefano!) I stumbled upon a wonderful gelateria, or ice cream shop.  As is common in Italy, they make their own gelato from scratch daily.   Today, their flavors included fresh banana and strawberry!  As I only go for the non-dairy, this hit the spot.  Absolutely wonderful!
Here's their counter:  I can't wait to go back during the summertime!

As I haven't joined a gym yet, this place is fortuitously closer to my fiancee's work than to our house!


Here's another great idea:


Who'd have thought of a condom vending machine!??  Even if the pharmacy is closed, this is available to prevent unwanted children!  I didn't check for size XXL, though...  I brought a stash from the US.  Don't worry, only my brothers are having kids so far!

I mentioned Roberto, my vegetable vendor, in my first post -- but he makes a return today!  I stopped by his stand today on my way home.  I'd picked up a few things at Eataly, but wanted to get some fresh produce for the weekend.  I left burdened with too much -- all for about $10!  Eggplants; little tomatoes grown with salt water (so the flavor is super-intense); a few varieties of radicchio; tender, young fava beans; Italy's best strawberries; gifts of parsley and oranges; and a weird, new vegetable called agretti, or friar's beard (Fra barba)

I tried Roberto's suggestion of sautéing it in butter/olive oil with smashed garlic, maybe with a little lemon juice or parmeggiano on top.  Well, I forgot the garlic.  But it tasted amazing!

As a side note, Marco, Roberto's son, says that "Che barba!" means something is annoying...  You have to sweep up tonight instead of going out?  "Che barba"!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ben, if that vending machine is facing (mostly) South, your little rubbery friends might have been thermally cycled for several days - if not weeks. In that case, I'd recommend actually going into the pharmacy and buying at the counter. Unless you want your brothers to become uncles, that is... ;)

    Buon divertimento!

    Edo

    ReplyDelete